Sunday, October 26, 2008

Saturday's Opening

Here's a detail of one of four of my paintings in a local group show entitled, "Interpretations of a Farmers Market." This gentle pig is the same subject that I used for the aquatint etching previously posted. The pig was in a cage at the farmers market and I was struck by the fact that the pig and other animals in the cage (goat, chickens) were not given straw to lie down on and were subjected to grabbing by people surrounding the cage.  The animals were for sale and I couldn't understand why since the market is in an urban setting.  

I am awaiting photos from the opening and will post them when I get them. The opening was a success with quite a crowd buzzing through.  I find it interesting to see the different kinds of people who will come to an art opening. It seems to be a mix of artists, friends of the exhibitors, other gallery owners, local townspeople like the mayor, and, to a lesser extent, people who are looking to buy art.  

I often wonder what's going on in people's minds as they look at art and mull over what they see.  Sometime, if I'm lucky, an observer will volunteer his or her interpretation of my work. This is always thrilling to me, whether or not the interpretation is similar to my original intent or concept when creating the piece.

No comments: